1.16.2007

Yesterday was a milestone as it marked my first week of work completed in DC. Overall it was a great experience though for those of you who don't know I already missed my first day of work. On Monday I was sick from something Brent was happy to share with me! But no matter, I got over it and started work at the Department of Veterans Affairs on Tuesday. I couldn't have asked for a better team to work with. Everyone was very inviting and thrilled to see me. No really, there were thrilled. EVERYONE is retiring in our office and there is a significant age gap between senior leadership and everyone else. Predictably there is going to be a good bit of upward mobility in the near future, which is good for me! There have been some drawbacks though. It's taking 4-E-VER to get my id card made so I have to show the security guards my TN license every time I go into the building. Security is tight because the VP has some staff that works in our same building, which is a block from the OEOB. I do miss seeing those TN mountains but I can console myself with a captivating view of the Capitol Building during my commute. Commuting is another thing. Riding the Metro has been a breeze so far. While riding I have made this observation:

There are three types of Metro riders in the morning:
1. Sleeping riders (they take little power naps and wake up right before their stop)
2. Reading riders (reading the paper or a book)
3. Zombie riders (its way too early for my peeps so I will stare off into the abyss, this is me)


I have had a great time with Brent, Laura and Savannah . Savannah loves to watch Brent and I play video games! I do miss TN and of course all my family and especially Voldoll. But things are growing on me here and once I have a place to live and a good routine it won't be bad at all.

List of things I have seen or had done to me:

Number of times I have walked by the White House: 6
Number of times I have seen Marine One fly over me (including leaving the White House):
3
Hours spent on my daily commute (to and from): around 2
Famous people I've seen: 0 -- still waiting on that one
Number of times I've been honked at:
4
Number of times I've been given the bird:
1
Number of times I've changed Savannah's diaper:
0 -- not waiting on that one

Update** I got my ID card today. I'm bona fide!

No comments: