7.23.2006

Some girls are tougher than others

But my girlfriend is the toughest. Voldoll and I decided, rather hastily Saturday afternoon, that we would go to the mountains and hike. The weather outside was dreary but our spirits were up so we set out to the Great Smoky Mountains. We chose to hike to Andrew's Bald, a nice exposed area that enjoys a beautiful view at 6,600 feet. If you've never hiked to it you must know that the path is incredibly rocky and sometimes painful, but its short at only 1.8 miles. We reached the Sugarlands Visitor Center and bought a day-hike map and set out toward the starting point of the trail.
While I was driving Voldoll told me she couldn't remember if she had put her hiking boots in the car before we left. I told her she probably did but couldn't see them in the back seat. So I pulled over and we both searched desperately for her hiking boots. Nothing. Voldoll had on a pair of Crocs, and knock off Wal Mart versions at that. Crocs are comfortable and heelless, but when it comes to hiking you might as well be wearing flip flops. We got back in the car and I offered to turn around ( I wasn't to keen on her hiking in Crocs) but she was adamant, we go and we hike no matter what. To her credit she was unrelenting in her desire to finish the trail even when the slimy mud was ankle deep and rocks jutted out all around the trail. My girlfriend hiked four miles in Crocs across some nasty terrain but not once did she complain although she came close to breaking an ankle. It turned out to be a wonderful time together. I'm so very proud of her and I was very impressed by her tenacity.

No comments: